If you think you can explain a scientific concept to a general audience in just three minutes, then why not enter?
You could win a fantastic prize, become the new face of science in Qatar, represent Qatar at the FameLab International final in the UK, and gain opportunities in science communication. All applicants will receive training by experts in the science communication field.
Stage 2: Shortlisted applicant will be eligible to attend FameLab initial training for science communication skills.
Stage 3: Auditions.
Stage 4: FameLab Master class for advanced science communication skills delivered by a science communication master trainer (only for successful auditions).
Stage 5: FameLab National Final.
Stage 6: FameLab winner to represent Qatar at the FameLab International at Cheltenham Science Festival, UK and cash prizes for the runners up.
We’re opening the competition in Qatar for two categories:
- Young Scientists: School students from age 16 and above. We’re looking for students with a passion for science and good grades in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects.
- Aspiring Scientists: STEM school teacher or university faculty, a STEM researcher or a STEM undergraduate or postgraduate.
We would like as many people to apply as possible, but we have a couple of rules:
- it must be about a science, technology, engineering or maths-based topic
- you must be aged between 16-40
- each participant will be given a maximum of three minutes in which he/she would present to the panel of judges and the audience an exciting, original and scientifically accurate talk
- you should not use PowerPoint
- props are limited to what you can carry on stage (there is no time allocated for set up)
- if you make it through the auditions to the national final you will need a second presentation (which can be on the same topic, but must be demonstrably different in content)
- it is an individual presentation and not a group presentation
- you are Qatari or resident in Qatar
- wmployees of the British Council and Qatar National Research Fund, and their next of kin are not allowed to participate in the competition
- participants must complete and submit their applications to email@example.com before 12 February 2017.
The winner will receive an expenses paid trip to the UK to represent Qatar in FameLab International Competition at Cheltenham Science Festival .
The runners up will receive cash prizes to spend on scientific projects or research.
For more information, read FameLab.
Click here to read this content in Arabic(العربية).