What is IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)?
If you are looking to work or study in the UK, you may need to apply for a UK Visa and demonstrate that you have met the required level of English by taking a Home Office approved Secure English Language Test (SELT), such as IELTS for UKVI (Academic and General Training) or IELTS Life Skills.
We have made it easier and more convenient for you to take your IELTS for UKVI test. You can now take your test on a computer. With computer-delivered testing, you can take your IELTS for UKVI test, Academic or General Training, and you simply type your answers.
If you choose IELTS for UKVI on a computer, you will take the Listening, Reading and Writing sections on a computer at one of our official test centres. The Speaking test will remain face to face with a certified IELTS Examiner, as we believe it is the most effective way of assessing your speaking skills.
All other aspects of the test are exactly the same, whether it is taken on paper or on computer, including:
- types of questions
- speaking test delivery
- security arrangements
Is there a difference in test format between IELTS and IELTS for UKVI?
IELTS and IELTS for UKVI are the same in terms of format, content, scoring and level of difficulty. However, the Test Report Form which contains your results is slightly different to show that you have taken the test at an official IELTS for UKVI location, which is approved by the UK Home Office.
Which test format should I take?
If you are a student, please check with your university/college/school which test you need before booking.
If you are applying for a Student Visa (Tier 4) at a higher education institution to enter directly onto a bachelor or postgraduate degree at a university that is a Tier 4 Sponsor, you must meet the English language level set by the institution. All British universities and colleges accept IELTS Academic results This means you may not need to take an IELTS for UKVI (Academic) test but can submit an IELTS Academic result. Book the IELTS for UKVI (Academic).
If you are NOT a student, please check which test format you need with the organisations you are applying to before booking the test.
We offer IELTS for UKVI in Doha in Qatar
|IELTS for UKVI (Academic) - on paper||Take this test if the university or organisation you are applying to has requested that you take the IELTS for UKVI (Academic) test.||QAR 1,180|
|IELTS for UKVI (General Training) - on paper||Take this test if you want to migrate to the UK or want to train or study below degree level.||QAR 1,180|
|IELTS for UKVI (Academic) - on computer||Take this test on a computer if the university or organisation you are applying to has requested that you take the IELTS for UKVI (Academic) test.||QAR 1,320|
|IELTS for UKVI (General Training) - on computer||Take this test on a computer if you want to migrate to the UK or want to train or study below degree level.||QAR 1,320|
|IELTS Life Skills A1**||Take this test if you need to prove your English Speaking and Listening skills as part of your application to UK Visas and Immigration for 'family of a settled person' visas.||QAR 665|
|IELTS Life Skills B1**||Take this test if you need to prove your English Speaking and Listening skills as part of your application to UK Visas and Immigration for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship.||QAR 665|
Taking IELTS for UKVI with the British Council
IELTS for UKVI (Academic and General Training) tests and IELTS Life Skills are taken at a UKVI approved test centre. British Council has UKVI approved venues across the world.
Book with the British Council and you will receive:
- Our special offer which will give you free access to our brand new IELTS for UKVI preparation materials: ‘GEL IELTS Prep’, which includes personalised, smart support that works with you and your learning needs to help you reach your required IELTS for UKVI score, and includes mock tests and practice recourse for all four skills.
- Free access to a last-minute preparation course ‘Road to IELTS’, which includes nine videos with advice and tutorials, 100 interactive activities and two practise tests for each of the four skills.
- Free practice tests and preparation materials: practise IELTS with the British Council for free online or with a copy of the IELTS Practice book which contains sample tests for IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training.
- Convenient dates and locations: we have multiple test locations in countries all around the world. There are more than 800 official British Council IELTS test centres, all of which are conveniently located and have modern facilities.
- Five extra Test Report Forms for free: we send these free of charge to institutions you’re applying to (e.g. immigration offices, universities, etc.)
- Easy booking and friendly, professional staff: you can book the test online or in-person with convenient payment options. Our experienced staff will help you every step of the way to make sure that your IELTS journey runs smoothly.
You can book your IELTS for UKVI test online (click on the button below).