We're your best starting point for learning English. People from all over the world study English with us by following a course in one of our teaching centres or by using our free online resources for teachers and learners.
We can give you the confidence and skills you need to communicate effectively in English. With over 70 years of English language teaching experience, we can help you achieve your goals.
Our websites engage adults and children globally, and provide valuable support for teachers.
Learn English online with the help of this free website from the British Council. You'll find games, stories, listening activities and grammar exercises that will help you develop your skills.
In the Listen & Watch section you'll discover lots of new listening activities and videos, and in the Business & Work section you can find materials aimed at helping you reach your professional aspirations by developing your English skills.
We also have a Grammar & Vocabulary section and IELTS practice materials.
If you want to find materials especially designed for young learners, visit Learn English Kids.
Become a member to add comments to the site and ask questions to get help with your English.
TeachingEnglish is the central point of reference for teachers, trainers and those working in other areas of English language teaching.
Across the site, you'll find free classroom materials to download – from short activities to full lesson plans – for teaching both children and adults. There are also articles on all aspects of teaching and free teacher development and teacher training materials.
Don't forget to register on the TeachingEnglish site if you want to interact fully with other users, add comments and download exam preparation material. As a member, you'll be able to:
- create your own profile and join an international online community
- leave questions for our guest writers, teachers and other users
- download teacher training materials for free
- access the new materials before everyone else.
The British Council has released a suite of apps to help learners improve their English. Through these apps learners can:
- listen to and watch conversations in real-life contexts to sharpen their everyday listening skills
- record and learn new words in a vocabulary flashcard app
- practise grammar through interactive grammar activities
- challenge themselves and their friends through word games
- practise phonics sounds and watch children’s stories on tablet devices.
The British Council’s apps are suitable for English learners of all levels and ages, including young learners.
Learn more about our apps, which are available from the iTunes Store, Google Play, BlackBerry App World and Windows Store – just search for 'British Council' in the app store to find them.